NPI is commonly known as “The National Provider Identifier“. It is a unique10 digits number that would be going to help you in identifying you with your healthcare partner. All individual HIPAA-covered medical services providers, consisting of surgeons, chiropractor specialists, practitioners, and more, or associations including clinics, healthcare organizations, laboratories, and more should get an NPI for use in all HIPAA standard transactions. When you get an NPI, it remains unchanged throughout your life and you cannot change it nor can you exchange it with someone.
How to apply for an NPI?
All healthcare providers and HIPAA covered entities must obtain NPI. Generally, there are two types of NPI and these are classified as
Type 1 and Type 2
Type 1 is for individuals who practice solo such as dentists and hygienists etc.
Type 2 is for community practices, integrated dental practices, or other business groups paying under their company or company name or their employer identification number (EIN).
Generally, Type 1 NPI is needed for each provider, and Type 2 is needed for each business (e.g., separate TIN#).
Applying for NPI
It is very easy to apply for an NPI number. Just follow the steps below and you will get your NPI.
- Just go to the NPPES National Plan & Provider Enumeration official website.
- And there just sign in yourself by entering an accurate “Users Id and Password”.
- Now go to the application form and fill it up with accurate details.
- After filling up your form you have to submit it and once your application is processed it will take around 5 to 10 days to get an NPI. If you will mail your form to them then it may take around 20 days to get your NPI number.
If you are a new NPI user and don’t have an account then do not worry as we will guide you on how to create a new account.
- Click on Create or Manage account.
- And after that accept the terms and conditions.
- Then fulfill all the necessities and there you go.
After doing this you can easily sign in there to apply for your NPI number.